Sunday, February 23, 2014

Baby got Bump!

As the end of this pregnancy draws near (very near) I wanted to remember some things about this one as it will likely be our last baby in the deFoor house.  When I was thinking back, it came as a surprise to me as well but I've been pregnant nearly the entire time we've lived in Texas!   We had planned to have another starting in summer but were surprised at how quickly it happened. 

 We (I) found out the morning of July 4th and planned all morning how I would break the news to Jason.  Knowing again, this is the last "I'm pregnant" I would be announcing, I had to come up with something good but quick!  We had no big plans other than hanging out together and a 4th of July parade.  I waited until later on in the day and the boys decorated their bikes for a "bike parade" of our own.  I had helped them paint signs for their bikes in the shapes of flags.  They would wear them on their backs.  Lincoln was none the wiser when I did a little switch-a-roo on his sign and and he was trailing off, I put this one on him and quickly called Jason out to see the "adorable bike parade!!"

We didn't tell the boys that day, we waited a few more days and let them announce it to our families in funny and silly videos.  The one to my dad has Lincoln announcing that "mommy's going to have a band-aid!" (roars of laughter)

Now, these pregnancy photos are NOT professional.  They aren't even pregnancy photos.   Most of them are cell phone "selfies" almost all meant for my sister as a "wardrobe check" for what I had decided to wear.  You see, when you don't live close to one another, you have to use technology to make sure you don't ever get caught on one of those "what NOT to wear sites".  You can see baby grow, mostly toward the end and hopefully all of these outfits were sister "approved!" {{ *it was against my better judgement to even post 15 "selfies" that I made of myself in the full length mirror so take them with a grain of salt*}}

(8 weeks)
I waited until I had ultrasound in hand before I announced it to all my girls in TN.  I knew they would be excited and I couldn't tell them in person so this had to do.
In the weeks that preceded and followed my announcement, I was sick.  Not morning sick.  No, my sickness came at 5pm every single evening.  I hope this is not a precursor to the dreaded witching hour.  I could not LOOK at food.  I couldn't think about food.  I could hardly even stand to drive down the road and ready food signs without it making my nose turn and lip curl.  I was also very picky.  I'm not usually extremely picky about food.  Jason would mention something and I would be aghast that he would even suggest that place because of my aversions.  He just about had to start saying, "Ok, babe, where would you like to eat?" and I'd have to try to think of something.  That few weeks included LOTS of cereal.  Specifically peanut butter cheerios.  They were my vice and I ate them frequently.  Outside of that, anything that contained carbs was on my side and if it was healthy, you can just forget it.  I avoided healthy food like it was the plague.  It was some of my first indications of her gender.  I felt a little like buddy the elf for a few weeks there.  My diet consisted of sugar, candy, syrup and carbs.  
(15 weeks)
I was 16 weeks when we paid to have a "gender reveal" ultrasound done.  I had cheated a little and asked my doctor to take a look at my last appointment.  He was against telling me for sure but he said nonchalantly,"I'd say it's about 80% GIRL."  I contained my tears until I got to my car but not long thereafter. I called my sister sobbing and asking what 80% meant?!  I agonized all weekend over that other 20%.  Could it be?  Was I going to be putting dresses and headbands on a little mini-me?  On Monday, Jason and I went in for this elective ultrasound and the lady there said she was a ZILLION % sure it was a GIRL!  It was awesome and reassuring too!
I had planned this day in my head and pinned the photos on pinterest.  I left nothing to chance in announcing this news.  So many people know how long I have waited to say those words...
It's a GIRL!
The boys figured it out long before I told them.  They said the pink suckers and the pink balloon gave it away.  
Excited?!?  Well, they would have preferred a boy but at this point, it didn't mean much to either of them.

I had been doing bootcamp since moving to Texas and I didn't let her stop me until I had to.  I kept it up until just after the 20 week mark.  When I was having to modify EVERYTHING they were doing, I decided to give it a break but I can't wait to go back to it.  SUCH a great workout!  
(17 weeks)
(18 weeks)
So, I didn't purchase much in the way of maternity clothes but I did have to expand my workout wardrobe.  Luckily for me, tunics and leggings are totally in style this season and also totally wearable when you are constantly growing rounder!
(20 weeks)
(21 weeks)
(22 weeks)

(23 weeks in both)

(24 weeks and my birthday dinner!)
We made a LONG trip to Alabama for Thanksgiving.  I knew then and there, it would be my last driving trip for a really long time.  Driving stinks when you have to stop every half-hour for the bathroom!
(25 weeks)
(28 weeks)
(31 weeks)  This is when I REALLY feel like she showed up!  
(32 weeks)
(33 weeks)
(34 weeks)
(35 weeks)
This was our 3rd trimester ultrasound.  Not all doctors do this one but since he does his own, he can check her head down position and take another look at her growth.  She's probably going to be on the small side, in the 6 pound range he thinks but well within the normal limits for sure.  She wasn't very cooperative with the ultrasound but we will get to see her soon enough.
(36 weeks)
(also 36 weeks)  I had started walking pretty consistently by this point.  I got in 3 miles on the treadmill some days but it wasn't easy!  
Our anniversary dinner was already crashed by a big ol' belly so we decided we'd just take the boys with us too.  We went to Benihana for Japanese steak and it was enjoyed by all!  I love this dress!  It grows with me.  I bought it in Colorado on my girls trip and wore it then and I'm still wearing it now!  It also comes with lots of good memories!
(37 weeks)

(38 weeks)
(39 weeks)

Cravings:  I don't remember having specific cravings with the boys.  I ate plenty but not anything strange or out of the ordinary.  This time, I mentioned the carbs. Oh, the carbs!  I had cereal far too often, potatoes more than I have in years, pancakes and donuts which are just not on my normal menu and potato chips.  The Lays Wavy kind with french onion dip.  It was a bit of a problem at the end.  I could really take down a bag if I wasn't careful.  

Weight Gain:  Oddly, I didn't gain as much with her as I did the boys.  I'm not sure if it's 3rd times the charm, the fact I kept up the bootcamp or just a different gender but either way, I'll take it. She's due to be a little smaller than they were too but still well into the normal ranges.  Now, taking it all back off might prove to be a whole different challenge but when I recover, it's ON!  

Mood Swings:  Although Jason will roll his eyes while reading this, I have been relatively calm on this third go round.  With the boys, we both knew I was a DEVIL in the first trimester.  Specifically to Jason.  It was like we were on opposite teams and I HATED him.  It was like I couldn't help myself.  I was evil and angry.  After the first trimester, my fierceness subsided and became a joke but it was not pretty for a while.  This time, I feel  like I've been pretty calm, no bad anxiety, no crazy mood swings, and no serious crying spells.  Again, if you ask Jason, he'll have a different version of this story I'm certain.

Chief Complaint:  Aside from giving up your body, any alcohol consumption(wine), and being overwhelmingly tired...Pregnancy complaints can go on and on.  I had most of the normal ones and I mentioned the serious healthy food aversion and super pickiness in the first trimester along with the 5pm or evening sickness I experienced.  The WORST complaint I can offer for this pregnancy though, is the reflux.  I haven't eaten a meal in 6 months that feels like it completely digests.  I have tried every medication in the books.  I've tried eating dinner at 4pm.  I've tried different foods.  Nothing helps at all.  I can wake up on an empty stomach and still have reflux.  I just hope this is one symptom that hits the road once she stops taking up so much space in there.  
The other complaint I have had this time, different from the others, is insomnia.  It started a few weeks ago and I woke up around 2am and was unable to go back to sleep.  After lying there for hours, I got up and went to the couch to watch TV.  Since then, I've made friends with late night TV and have somehow managed to avoid getting sucked into buying anything useless on infomercials but I won't say I haven't been tempted.  I can usually drift off again somewhere around the 5am mark.  Then Jason's alarm goes off at 5:30 and mine at 6:30.  Figures.  

This is the last week of my LAST pregnancy and while enjoying it might be a stretch (said ANY 39 week pregnant woman!) I will at least give a nod to all those flutter and hiccups I won't be feeling from the inside anymore.

 I think it's safe to say...we are READY to paint the world PINK!!

No comments:

Post a Comment