Sunday, April 6, 2014

Bow Training in Progress





You've heard of potty training, sleep training, and crate training.  Oh, wait, that's for dogs but come to think of it...it could work too.  We are currently in the throes of bow training.  Yes, it's a real thing.  I am training my 5 week old daughter that wearing a bow is NOT just an accessory but a way of life.  It's like wearing underwear in our house.  You don't leave home without it and it's not suggested to walk around the house without it either.  Every good southern girl knows a thing or two about hairbows.  Big ones, small ones, flower ones there just needs to be a bow in your hair. It's like having sweet tea.  If you go somewhere that doesn't have it, you look at the place questionably.   I like to think I'm bringing up a proper southern young lady and on top of her "yes, ma'ams" and "bless your hearts", I'll be ensuring her place in the properly accessorized category by ensuring there is always a perfectly coordinated bow in her hair.  
The idea behind the "bow training" theory is that if she's always worn a bow on her head then when she reaches the "pull it out" stage she will know it's a fixture and it won't be so enticing.  Then when she does decide to check it out, I can give her a firm "no, ma'am" and tell her to leave it in.  Probably 100 times or more but consistency is key here and I'll do my duty to complete the task.  



















Even now, it's not always a complete success. We have to take it one day at time.  We have days where the bows are too big and fall down in her eyes.  Sometimes they are too small and squeeze a little too tightly on her head.  Then there are days when she throws a fit and the bows wind up covering her eyes completely.  Then it becomes more of a de facto sleep mask.  She isn't impressed.  One day, she'll thank me.  Or maybe not but I'll never have to look back and wish I had put a bow in her hair.  Now, there will most likely be times I wish I HADN'T put a bow in her hair as times will change and we all look back at our 80's big hair, bowl cuts and perms and wonder WHY?!?  But it's a chance I'm willing to take for the sake of proper and (adorable) current accessory trends.  
Besides, if you have any idea how long I have waited for a girl, you'll understand.  There were times I would threaten Lincoln to put bows in his hair but he always thwarted my efforts.  I've waited my WHOLE LIFE to put dresses and bows on someone.  So FINALLY, my ship (or BOW as it were) has come in!



No comments:

Post a Comment