Monday, March 12, 2012

It's the end of the world as he knows it

There are 2 other blogs waiting in the wings but this one took center stage tonight as I try to stifle my sniffles over this very grown up event in my youngest child's life.  I can't say it went as planned because it was not at all planned.  I will say it went better than expected on his end, mine, maybe not so much.

This weekend we spent the weekend with Jason's Aunt and Uncle in Montgomery, AL.  They boys have their own room there and they slept in a big bed.  I sure wasn't going to volunteer to sleep with them as they turn circles all night.  Nonetheless, I do get one in the bed with me when Lincoln suddenly fell out of the bed because it seemed as if Jackson may have turned side ways and pushed the little guy right out.  I woke up to him crying and found him curled on the floor.  I felt bad enough to let him sleep with me at that point but it took me 15 minutes to find his papi (pacifier) while he lay in my bed content to wait.  On the way home, I stuck the papi in my purse.  Soon, he asked for it and I gave him his blanket complete with the tie from his bumper pad which he's always used as a "lovie."  Normally the papi and "bank" (blanket) go together but I just told him we left it at Linda's.  He said we'd have to get another one and I told him there were no more and he was too big for one anyway.

Jason and I were both playing the blame game on who was going to take the papi away from our headstrong nearly 3 year old.  I think we had agreed upon 1st grade being the absolute end all for papi's.  After all, they still take a nap in Kindergarten and he'd need it then!  He's a good kid and with that papi and bank, he'll lay in his crib for HOURS, ask to be put to bed and he's even been known to climb into the crib so that he could sleep with it.  It's definitely comfort item for him and he's a comfort items kid!  Speaking of cribs, this child is also nearly fully potty trained and has no intention of moving out of his crib.  He loves it and doesn't try to climb out so I decided I'd be a fool to take him out of it now.  He's stuck and we're both ok with that!  He also has a thing for his crib aquarium.  Sure, most kids out grow those by 18 months or so but not mine.  He's been blaring that thing in the middle of the night since he was 8 months.  I have watched him in the video monitor wake up, hit the button and immediately lay down and go back to sleep.  He loves that music box.  Recently, it was out of batteries and I promised him new ones.  After they were installed, he spent the next hour playing with it as it died a slow death.  It's been on it's last leg and at 6 years old  it finally kicked the bucket, he was devastated.  I asked my mom if she knew any 18 month olds that were done with theirs because my 3 year old needed a new one and she went right out and found him one in consignment (what a SWELL Nana!)  That boy loves his comfort items and always has.

We've been limiting the papi to the bed for many months now but we knew the time was coming to give it up.  Jackson was easy and I was 6 months prego with Lincoln when we gave his to Santa Claus.  We don't really do the Easter bunny so no giant bunny was going to be taking it and I have a feeling Lincoln would not willingly give it away either.  I just knew I held the only one we had in the car with me and if I said it was gone, I might actually start believing it myself.  No, I didn't really want to get rid of it now but I seized a good opportunity.  He slept great in the car with just the bank but the real test came at bedtime.  I put him down but he immediately requested me rock him.  Hmmmmm, YES, please.  Lincoln and I play the "rock me" game about 2-3 times a week.  I will tell him I will rock him to sleep as a treat or he'll ask me to "pease rock me" and I can not say no.  I knew this could be a no paci consolation prize and although he did whisper the whole time I rocked, he finally got tired enough to fall asleep.  We haven't made it thought the night yet but if this doesn't hold me accountable to not give it back, I don't know what will.  I do realize he doesn't need it and he's too old to have a stinkin' papi but right now, he's still my only baby and it's just as hard for me to let go.

 So here's my good bye to the papi.

 Until next time...

and there WILL be a next time.  Did you hear that Jason deFoor??

No comments:

Post a Comment