Monday, April 1, 2013

Adventures in Rattlesnake Rodeo


Would you believe me if I told you this wasn't the first time I've been the the rattlesnake rodeo in Opp, Alabama   This annual festival has been going on for quite some time.  Many years ago when Jason and I were dating, he lived in Enterprise, AL and we made the trek over to Opp for just this event.  I tried my hardest to find the ONE photo I know we have from the event but in this small rental house with our things scattered from TN to AL, I wasn't able to find it.  Big surprise.  Nevertheless, it does exist.  Pre-marriage, pre-children, we made a stop in Opp(ha, that rhymes!) for this yearly event!  We couldn't miss our second chance to share it with the family.
It made for some great photo Opp-ortunities (hardee har har)


Jason wasn't with us this time.  We were visiting my sister in Dothan, AL and we knew for sure the boys would LOVE this idea.  We didn't anticipate the unseasonally frigid weather in March.  While it wasn't snowing like it was in TN, it was quite chilly for southern AL.  
One might be wondering what in the world you do at a rattlesnake rodeo?   It's a legitimate concern.  The first order of business is to sell your wares.  I really should have had some Stella&Dot out here but then again, how was I supposed to compete with rattlesnake head jewelry and tortoise shells galore?  

 If you've ever wanted your name stamped on the back of your belt, here's your chance.  You could pick your own name or just go with Bubba to keep it simple.  They probably even had a few of those already in stock.  
And what woman doesn't want this camo wreath to hang on her door.  I'm not sure what kind of message it sends.  Maybe I'm reading too much into it.  We won't go there.


Then there's Christian Motorcycle Santa.  He actually came down from my hometown in AL.  So he's kinda like my neighbor, ya know, when he's not riding in a sleigh and making toys.

 Now here's the good stuff.  We were there on Friday evening and would you believe they were putting the snakes away when we walked up.  Seriously, they said something about PEETA and not being allowed to have the snakes out during the music performances.  So let me guess, it's hurts the snakes EARS to hear the music?  Are they not country music fans?  Is it past their bedtime?  Regardless, we talked the guy into getting out one snake for the boys to see, we didn't pay $20 bucks to get in and NOT see a snake by Gosh!!
He brings us out one angry rattler that was twisting and shaking around. If I didn't know better, I'd say he was dancing to that music!  

Then the crazy man grabs that mean ol' snake by the HEAD.  With it's tail whipping around, that man straddled that snake.  

Please take a moment to giggle about the next photo.  We did.  A lot.

 He proceeds to show us the fangs of this over tired, annoyed-at-country-music snake.  I'm pretty sure I wouldn't enjoy my teeth being barred for the world to see either.  Maybe he hadn't brushed them today?

The boys stood and looked on wide eyed in delight.  Snakes are totally cool when you're a boy and your 7&3.  Not quite so much when you are their mother! (the children, not the snake) 
 And last but not least, I should note that the agenda for Saturday was far more lively.  Upon this here pole, they'd be having a greased pole climbing contest.  Not to be confused with greased pig contest.  No, that's at the Dothan Peanut Festival.  Yep, that's right a whole festival celebrating peanuts.  Folks, south Alabama.  It's where it's at!

No comments:

Post a Comment