Saturday, May 16, 2009

Making the "switch"

"Just another Saturday night and I ain't got nobody, I got some money cause we just got paid....how I wish I had someone to talk to" I begin my blog with this because after using this catchy cliche several times today, it is now STUCK in my head repeatedly.
This week has been relatively slow and uneventful. Rain has taken up several of our days into being secluded to the house. I'm not complaining much though. It's about all I can do to make one trip 10 mins down the road for swimming lessons and I'm exhausted again. I'm telling you, an extra 28lbs can really weigh a girl down. Jackson's 2 week swimming lessons are now over. He was a wild man in the pool, mostly splashing and keeping his head and ears underwater so as not to hear the directions given by the teacher. I think his expressions kept them laughing though. He is certainly animated while trying hard to be still enough to float.
My doctors appointment this week revealed that we will try to have the baby on either the 27th or 28th of May assuming I keep progressing. I'll be seen every week from now until then. I was happy to at least have a "date" in mind to let Jason know and was also happy that his (the Doc) date was about the same as the ones I had in mind.
Jason's living situation apparently hasn't changed much and other than that, I know little about what he's doing or his daily tasks. He can only check email about every 3 days so communication is still "rustic" as he put it nicely. I can only hope that this gets better. I've jokingly ( but with serious undertones) stated that it seems like the only things we have in common right now are that we share the same bank account and children. And I'm managing both of those things at the present time!

So in an attempt to get serious with Jackson for pulling the backtalk of "I"m just gonna..." or "no, I'm doing ______ first" when I ask him to do something, I have decided to make the switch. That is introduce the switch. I no longer feel my hand or my threats have much bearing on him and I am hoping that this friendly character will really make him understand that I am the parent and he must obey me. (they are learning that in Sunday school) Well, I explained to him that I would now be using this tool to help him learn that he must obey me and I would not be giving continued threats, there would be one chance and then he'd meet his fate. Oh how quickly a 3 year old forgets. I asked him to come and let me put his shoes on when he replied "I'm just gonna put this money in the piggy bank" so I got up and got the switch and there they had their first encounter. Well, his response wasn't at all what was expected or desired as he yelled at me to "STOP doing that" which lead to yet another stronger encounter with our new discipline tool. I think he understood this time but I clarified that this was our new method of "learning to obey." After our talk, he had many more questions about this new friend. He seemed both cautious and interested in it. Knowing he doesn't forget anything, he won't soon be forgetting about this incident and I feel certain that it will be effective. Today I was reading on the porch when he brought the switch outside to me. I asked him what he was doing with it and he said "I'm going to break it up and throw it off the porch." Oh, Jackson...just as there are plenty of fish in the sea, there are also plenty of sticks on that tree!
Children obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right. Honor thy father and mother; (which is the first commandment with promise;) that it may be well with thee, and thou mayest live long on the earth. Ephesians 6:1-3
Those who spare the rod hate their children, but those who love them
are diligent to discipline them. Proverbs 13:24

2 comments:

  1. I am always laughing at him! He is so funny! First, I can imagine his hilarious expressions in the pool, and second - to throw away the switch! Hah!

    Good idea to perfect that discipline now before you are busy with the baby! Kids are smart and know when you are distracted and can be taken advantage of, so anything you do now to avoid that will help you out a lot in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such a good mommy. He is so smart though :). Funny but only after they aren't looking :)

    ReplyDelete