Sunday, September 22, 2013

Favorite Things on the first day of "fall"

We had a fabulous day!  It didn't reach 90 degrees for the first time since we've lived in Texas.  That's something to cheer about.  We moved in June 4th and have hit 90 or above every day since.  It was a great "welcome to "fall" y'all" for us Nashville transplants.  Don't worry.  It won't last.  We'll be back into the 90's by mid week.
 I recently heard this:  In Texas, Fall is not so much a season but more something you do when you stumble or trip!    So, I'll be keeping my flip flops by the door for a little longer.  They may become permanent residents there.  I think I'm ok with that!
In honor of the change in seasons I'd like to share a few of my favorite things and a few more that just make me Happy!

I tried this lotion in Colorado and have really enjoyed it since then. It's DRY DRY in CO so it was necessary.  Here in the land of Houston Humidity, it's not as necessary yet but as the weather cools off, this will keep my legs lookin' nice.  Try it and see what you think!  It made the Today show's top "drug store finds" last week too!  

Yes, I'm far out of toddlers but the allure of squeezing your fruit from a pouch never gets old so I got these refillable pouches for my 4 & 7 year olds applesauce.  Jason went to an expo in grad school and got a sample and when I saw how cool they were, we got a whole set.  Now, I will warn you that if you send them to preschool with your 4 year old, you should somehow tell the teacher that these are not disposable or you'll be down one pouch.  Lesson learned.  They aren't too hard to fill ( I use a ziplock bag and cut the end and pipe it in).  I can buy the organic apple sauce from Costco and it lasts us weeks!  They can even be frozen to double as an ice pouch!  Lunch box WIN!

It's probably been a year or more since I stopped drinking diet soda.  It was a pretty big deal because I LOVED Diet Dr. Pepper.  It was a great move because after I quit them, my dad and sister (sometimes) followed!  Now, I rarely drink soda.  I miss the fizz and have recently discovered that I do like sparkling water so we have been buying cans of that but they sell these gems at Costco.  Good ol' Costco.  Where was I before I had Costco in my life?  They were nice enough to get us hooked on them one month when they had them on sale, now I'm buying them at prob over 50 cents a can but they are not an everyday drink but more of a treat anyway.  Far better for you than soda, even if it adds a few calories.  They are yummy.  Don't say I didn't warn you!  

Apparently this stuff isn't new but it was new to me!  I like lemon in my water but I hate the mess and waste of cutting one up.  Besides, it's hard to keep them on you when you refill your water bottle 5 times a day!  I can now have lemon water wherever I go!  It's found at walmart and I think it was near the baking isle.  


These Butternut Squash and Kale Quesadillas!  I love them for lunch and you will too!  I have a thing for Kale and butternut squash and Pioneer Woman too.  Put them all together and you've got a match made in quesadilla heaven!    You can find the recipe HERE  


My bike seat got a little (read: extra large) upgrade!  I've been riding with the boys a lot more often because of the awesome 200 miles of trails in our new neighborhood.  We can ride to the park and school but I had to make some adjustments.  I think that my back end and this seat are going to get along much better.  If you happen to need a little upgrade also you can order you one on Amazon!  


This is not my car.  It's a stock photo but I'm far to lazy to actually photograph my 2005 SUV with nearly 200,000 miles on it.   I put it on my list because this car makes me HAPPY!  For a while I was just happy that we are not making a car payment at the present time and haven't been for a while.  We just hoped it would make it through Grad school and we are so thankful it did!  The ONLY complaint I had about this car was the CD player quit working about 2 years ago.  I was sad because we listened to kid songs, books on CD and Christmas songs non-stop.  Well, recently, it started talking again and I tried a CD and wouldn't you know it worked! Maybe it just needed a little break but we've been wearing it out since.  Kid songs, Scary Songs, Gross songs and coming soon, Christmas songs ALL THE TIME!  So long live old paid for cars because it makes me HAPPY! (and really doesn't look half bad!)

I recently had a little "man fit" about not having DVR in the bedroom and asked Jason to call and see if we could upgrade our DVR to one of these.  I know, I know, first world problems for real!  So he got us the hopper from Dish.   I really don't watch that much TV.  We have a handful of network shows that we watch and then we occasionally watch House Hunters or 20/20 and Primetime before we go to bed.  Well this baby asks you if you'd like to go ahead and skip all the commercials at the beginning of each show.  Yes, please!  It also has a feature that records ALL of the 4 major network channels from 7pm to 10pm automatically on ONE DVR so you can go back and watch primetime tv anytime you want.  It keeps up to 8 days of it.  I'm sure there are far more features I've yet to discover while I'm flipping from Today show to PBS kids but I'm pretty happy with my new and improved DVR!

It's Premier Week!  Speaking of DVR shows!  I cant wait to finally have some exciting TV to watch.  The reruns were about to put me over the edge.  What are you going to try?  Which ones are you going to continue?  We are back to Revolution and Nashville along with long standing Law and Order: SVU.  We are trying out Trophy Wives and The Goldbergs.  Oh and Downton Abbey shall not be forgotten although I'm still holding a grudge along with millions of others!  



I'm in a new bible studay at the Methodist church in The Woodlands.  I LOVE this group of girls!  I'm so happy to have found a new place to study and learn while experiencing life with these girls.  I love that we pray for each other for the good and the bad.   We are currently reading Namesake by Jessica LaGrone and I'm really enjoying it.  I love how your bible study always seems to be JUST what you need to hear!  



Something BIG is happening around the deFoor house tomorrow.  Stay tuned in the next few days if you're on the edge of your seat to know!  It has the potential to change our life!  
How's that for a bloggy cliff hanger!  







No comments:

Post a Comment