Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Gone Pickin'

 It's that time of year again!  Strawberries are in season and a few weeks ahead of schedule thanks to a warm spring!  They are as delicious as ever though and we found them ripe for the pickin' last week at the Bottom View Farm.  I checked Jackson out of school so we could go with some friends to pick.  We've been every year since Jackson was born so I didn't want him to miss out.  I had the foresight to bring rain boots as much for the mud holes as for the squashed strawberries as they trampled around the vines to pick. Lincoln worked diligently picking the smallest and greenest strawberries for me to toss while Jackson and I  competed for the biggest strawberry. The best part of picking strawberries is eating them fresh off the vine.  I have a fondness for the way they taste fresh and warmed from the sun.  I dislike them cold from the refrigerator.   

  It didn't take more than 10 minutes to have 2 buckets overflowing. 


 The boys had already moved on to frog catching anyway.  It's not a complete day until those guys have caught something creepy crawly.  
 These boys did an awesome job picking, eating and giggling the whole time.  If it were 100 years ago and I was plum crazy, they could essentially all be stair step brothers. Eeek!
 Sweet little strawberry stained hands.
 There's my little linebacker ready to take on the farm with his basket.  
 I love these brothers, especially when they are not fighting.  A rare brotherly love moment.  Seconds later, someone was screaming "don't touch me."  

 I had looked at several blogs about what to do with all those strawberries.  I love them fresh but they go bad quicly so you have to move fast.  Of course we ate some fresh on cereal and yogurt but the rest we froze for smoothies and made these AWESOME fruit roll-ups!  Here's the link to the recipe I used.  I'm tellilng you they were amazing and easy to make!
http://broccolicupcake.com/blog/2012/04/homemade-fruit-leather-recipe/

No comments:

Post a Comment