Monday, December 30, 2013

Twas the day before Christmas

Several years ago we started spending Christmas at home.  I wasn't thrilled with the idea of not doing what I'd always done on Christmas eve but Jason was adamant that we'd make our own traditions as a family.  The things our kids would remember doing on Christmas Eve.  It was fun to consider how they would view this day in their adulthood.  

Mid-day, Jason let the boys open one of their gifts.  It was from his parents and we knew they'd get lots of use out of it the rest of the day.  It was a basketball AND a goal!  Besides, it gave Jason something to put together and plenty of time to do it.  
We also spent the day at home doing kid things.  Lincoln and I colored a few pages of Jake and the Pirates.  They boys are big time artist lately!  
We baked some cookies!  Here's hoping there's a few left for Santa!  We also decorated a few JUST for him!  


We started this jigsaw puzzle.  Jason and I both love puzzles and we work well together on them.  He tackles the outsides while I concentrate on a single scene.  

We went to the Christmas Eve Service at church.  The boys got to hold their own candle and were cautiously excited to be holding and passing the light!  


We have always gone to Christmas Eve Service and it's very special to us.  We love to sing the carols and hymns and hear the Christmas Story.  It's a great reminder of the reason we celebrate.  It's good for the boys to see it as a priority in our family.  

We went to Waffle House.  It started because it was the closest place to us and to the church we attended.  And it wasn't crowded.  It remains our tradition because who doesn't love chocolate  chip waffles for dinner?!  It's my once a year visit and I endure it for the boys.  I don't normally frequent 24 hour establishments.  
We read "Twas the Night Before Christmas".  This one is carried over from my childhood as long as I can remember.  I have the photos of me reading it to my sister in our pjs as well.  

Lucy found the perfect spot under the tree! She's been my baby for a little over a year now.  She came home  to us last Christmas!
Right before bed, we checked the NORAD one more time.  Santa's journey is fun and educational.  You can learn all about new places and a few you may have never heard of while tracking Santa.  But when he starts dropping off in the America's, it's time to hit the sack!
Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse.
The children were nestled all snug in their beds, 
while visions of sugarplums danced in their heads...

No comments:

Post a Comment